Sunday 8 September 2013

Bird of a Feather

'Feathers' is the challenge - at least the bit of the party invitation I've grasped hold of with some hope of producing passable costumes for Finn and Sophie. I headed straight to my 'kids costume' pinterest board to see what inspiration and how-to tips I could find.

This is what I came up with for Sophie.


I wanted something simple to make and something that she might actually wear - this cape of feathers was perfect! 

I used some super-soft cotton with a simple pattern as the wing shape and then gathered scraps to make the feathers. I drew a template of 5 feathers and spent an evening cutting out. After giving them a quick iron I lay them out until I got an order that worked well and then got stitching. I bound the two sides with some hot pink bias binding. 


I then used the same bias binding to cover the top edge and attach the two wings together. Finally I added smaller lengths of the binding to make ties to keep the wings in place around the wrists.


Although I'm not sure how much Sophie enjoyed being a bird - she has started to like having her photos taken! Cheese!




No comments:

Post a Comment