Monday 23 June 2014

Seb's Woodland Quilt

Our new home has opened new links to the local communities, many through social media. One Facebook group I'm part of has been a unmissable source of information, advice and bargains! It was from this group I got my most recent commission.

Rohini was decorating her son, Seb's bedroom and wanted a patchwork quilt to be part of this. We chatted her woodland theme, I collected some design and fabric ideas.


These mood boards could give her an idea of the colours, patterns and themes I had in mind. We soon came to an agreement and I had my finished design.


This may not look much to you but it holds all the crucial measurements and direction I need. I don't think the finished product is far off my initial sketch!


I hand-quilted the sections together using white, dark and light green perle thread.


I have four rows of larger trees and 3 of smaller ones to create the idea of a vast wood leading off into the distance.


Each tree is made of 8 sections. The leaves are shaped with white triangles. Some of the leaves are made from small scraps I'd been saving for something special - the patchwork element added to the leaf look.


The back I kept to simple blocks of fabric - based around a gorgeous piece of woodland animal fabric. I echoed a landscape view by using strips of green at the bottom and a lovely teal blue and cream spot for the sky.


Its taken longer than I hoped with all the recent family turmoil, but Rohini has been super understanding and even offered kind words of wisdom.


Let's just hope young Sebastian likes it.





No comments:

Post a Comment