Sunday 1 February 2015

DIY Kristoff Costume

So he's a bit of a fixer upper, but this we're certain of; you can fix this fixer upper up with a little bit of love!
―The Trolls to Anna about Kristoff

So what do you wear to a Frozen fancy dress party when you're a boy? Hans is the baddie, Olaf is not for big boys, the reindeer is not an option (for many reasons), so that just leaves the obvious - Kristoff!

 The costume was simple enough - a tunic with a sash. Even better - all the materials cost about £10!


I started by buying a pair of men's XXL jogging bottoms (from Primark for £5) and faux fur and ribbon from our local fabric shop. I folded one of Finn's tops in half length ways then drew round it - omitting the arms. I then extended the line another 20 cm slopping outwards. I made a simple sleeve pattern and a collar piece.


Using the jogger's leg seam, I placed the body pattern piece on the fold. The front and back were the same I just added a 'V' shape to the front. I sewed together the shoulder seams, then added the sleeves before sewing up the sides and sleeve lengths. Then I added the collar section (I needed to re-draw my pattern piece to make it fit properly), all seams were overlocked to neaten.

Next I added the ribbon. I first sewed the purple thinner ribbon onto the red. I started with the shoulders, tucking the raw edge under. Next I added the section around the collar and neck. 

Along the bottom I drew and trimmed the curved cut away section. I cut strips of faux fur approximately 8 cm wide, folded them in half and sewed these to the bottom edge, sleeve edges and neckline.


Finally I made a sash by folding a length of red fabric and adding ribbon. Worn with grey skinny jeans and a long sleeve top - I think it's turned out pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment