Friday, 6 November 2015

Top to Frock

I've been having a clear out and two old H&M jersey tops were heading for the charity bag until I decided they would make good play dresses for the girl.

I started with a dress of Sophie's to - very roughly - check for sizes and measurements. I started with the pink top (as I liked it least!) and forgot to take any photos.

Cracking on the with second I knew what I was doing and whipped it up in about half an hour - slightly cheating by mainly using the over-locker. 

I started by chopping of the section under the arms to create the main skirt section of the dress. Then cut the sleeves off.

I then cut the bodice to a smaller width (approx 14") and sewed new shoulder seams.

I lay the sleeves together and cut off the about half inch from the original seam.

I then lay the two sleeves on top of each and using the dress I have for measurements I estimated a sleeve width. As my top had rolled sleeves I used scissors to cut through - it wasn't very neat but I knew I would be tidying it up later.

I found the centre of my sleeve and places this on the shoulder seam, pinned then over-locked into place. Repeat for other sleeve.


Then with right sides together I pinned the side seam and sleeve (opening out the rolled hem of the sleeve cuff). Then over-locked - carefully turning the corner under the arm. Repeat on other side. 

With the top section done I sewed two rows of long, basting stitches along the top of the skirt section leaving long tails to pull the gathers. 


Finally with right sides together I pinned the top to the gather skirt, gathering evenly as I went, matching side seams. I sewed on the sewing machine before over-locking to make neat.

With the sleeve cuffs and bottom, dipped hem still in place from the original top - that was it done! Pretty pleased at the refashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment