Friday 24 May 2013

Crowning glory

The making bug really caught hold this month as Sophie's first birthday draws closer and closer. I have finished her building blocks and quilt and decided there was just time to whip up a special party hat.

I decided a mini crown made with fabric and ribbon would be just the thing for my little princess (i know... enough!).

After rummaging around on Pinterest for some inspiration I decided to make my own pattern. And here's the finished result - cute eh!


The hardest part was coming up with the perfect pattern. It needed a slight curve so that the points angled out slightly and big enough dips for the points to look crowny!


I choose some lovely soft muted grey and brown fabric I had in my stash and ironed on some lightweight interfacing to the floral fabric to give it a little more structure.

I choose some complementing ribbon and sewed these to the front before sewing the two pieces of crown together along the points.

Next I sewed the edges together then flipped it the right way out, pushing out the tips of the crown carefully with scissors.

I then gave it an iron and ironed the a bottom hem of about 1/4 inch on both external and internal fabrics. I cut two lovely plush baby pink ribbons and pinned them to the sides before carefully sewing the bottom edge closed.

My final touch was some gold pearl cotton hand stitching around the edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment